DreamHost is a platform where you can buy domains and subdomains for the website or short branded links.
For shortening links in Short.cm, you have to add your domain name or to use a generic one "smth.shortcm.li." If you don't have a domain, you can acquire it from Short.cm or any domain registrar. The advantage of buying a domain from Short.cm is that the domain will be active at once.
If you acquire a domain from the registrar, you have to follow some activation steps.
Learn the instruction below on how to add a DreamHost domain to Short.cm account.
1. Sign in Dreamhost and buy an available domain.
2. Choose "Domains" – "Manage Domains" from the left side.
3. Choose "DNS" under a necessary domain.
4. Add "A-record" with 188.8.131.52 value (an IP address, which connects Dreamhost and Short.cm).
Important: Leave the "Name" box blank (!!!).
5. If you configure:
- a domain — delete all unnecessary records. Click the "Deactivate Parked" from the right side of the domain to remove all A-records at once.
- a subdomain — do not delete records of the domain you already own.
8. Go to your Short.cm account.
9. Open the User menu and choose "Add a domain.
10. Choose the third option — Add my own domain
11. Specify a domain and confirm that this domain is dedicated only for shortening links.
12. Go to your domain settings to check if the domain is active. Refresh a domain status in 1-2 hours if the domain is still inactive.
Important: Wait a few hours and refresh a domain status in Short.cm domain settings.
13. After the domain is active, feel free to shorten links and enjoy Short.cm.
Watch the video instruction to avoid obstacles while configuring a domain.