Name.com is a domain provider, where you can buy a domain name for short branded links.
For shortening links in Short.io, you have to add your domain or to use a generic one "smth.shortcm.li." If you don't have a domain, you can acquire it from Short.cm or any domain registrar. The advantage of buying a domain from Short.io is that the domain will be active at once.
If you acquire a domain from the registrar, you have to follow some activation steps.
Learn the instruction below on how to add a Name.com domain to Short.io account.
1. Sign into Name.com and buy an available domain.
2. Open the "Domains" tab and then click My domains..
3. Click "Quick links" next to the domain.
4. Choose "Manage DNS Records" from the drop-down list.
5. If you configure:
- a domain — delete all unnecessary records (if they exist);
- a subdomain — do not delete any records.
6. Add 2 records:
- A record; @ Host; 126.96.36.199 Answer.
- A record; @ Host; 188.8.131.52 Answer.
7. Go to your Short.io account.
8. Open the User menu and choose "Add a domain.
9. Choose the third option — Add my own domain
10. Specify a domain and confirm that this domain is dedicated only for shortening links.
11. Go to your domain settings to check if the domain is active. Refresh a domain status in 1-2 hours if the domain is still inactive.
Important: Wait a few hours and refresh a domain status in Short.io domain settings.
12. After the domain is active, feel free to shorten links and enjoy Short.io.
The video guide below helps you quickly configure a Name.com domain.